Dispute Credit Report Errors

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), both the company that reported your credit information and the three National Consumer Reporting Agencies (Equifax, TransUnion and Experian) must correct errors or any missing information in your credit report. The Consumer Reporting Agencies must investigate any disputes and provide feedback within 30 days.

Take the following actions to help you remedy the situation:

  • Write a letter to one of the Consumer Reporting Agencies and indicate, which information you believe is inaccurate or missing. Include any relevant information such as copies of documents that will help support your case. Send the letter via certified mail "return receipt requested" so that you have proof that the letter was received by the credit reporting agency. The Consumer Reporting Agency will in turn forward any relevant information that to the organization that reported the incorrect information. After the organization receives the notice from the Consumer Reporting Agency, they must also investigate the claim and provide feedback to the Reporting Agency. After the investigation has been completed, the Consumer Reporting Agency will send you information about the results of the investigation and a free copy of your credit report. The Reporting Agency cannot include the erroneous information on your report, since it is in dispute. The Agency will also send you information about the organization that reported the credit information such as their name, address and phone.
  • You should also send a letter and any supporting documentation to the organization that reported the information indicating which information is in error.
  • In cases, where the consumer reporting agency will not correct your credit file for whatever reason, you must request that the reporting agency include a statement of dispute in your file. You should also ask the consumer agency to furnish the letter whenever an inquiry is made against your credit file.

    The FTC recommends a sample letter as follows:

    Your Name
    Your Address, City, State, Zip Code
    Complaint Department

    Name of Company
    City, State, Zip Code

    Dear Sir or Madam:

    I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. I have circled the items I dispute on the attached copy of the report I received.

    This item (identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors or tax court, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.) is (inaccurate or incomplete) because (describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why). I am requesting that the item be removed (or request another specific change) to correct the information.

    Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed documentation, such as payment records, court documents) supporting my position. Please reinvestigate this (these) matter(s) and (delete or correct) the disputed item(s) as soon as possible.

    Your name

    Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing.)

    NEXT: Analyst Current Debts